Monday, September 5, 2011

Tow Truck

My life these days is a lot about remembering and forgetting. Remembering things at random, forgetting things at will.

Yesterday I remembered the time when I nearly fell asleep at the wheel driving across I-10 in the middle of the night.  I had done all I could do to keep myself alert. Windows down. A/C and radio blasting.  Talking to myself.  But I was fading and had a long trip down I-95 waiting for me if ever I made it there.

I could hardly keep my eyes open, and there was nowhere safe to stop. I was very afraid.

As a last, desperate measure I tucked myself in behind an 18 wheeler.  I had the notion that if I could just stay focused on him...let him keep sight of me in his mirrors...that I could use his steady pace and awareness to get me across the long, dark interstate.

At first, the trucker seemed perplexed.  Usually people wanted to get out from behind the big rig.  He'd try to let me pass, but I just kept myself tucked in behind.  Allowing him to tow me along the lonely road.  Finally, he seemed content to just let me settle in behind him, and we drove along together in the dark.

When we reached the more brightly lit junction to I-95, I was more alert. Rejuvenated by the energy of having made it through the frightening passage.  The trucker, seeming to have realized that I was alone and dependent on him back there in the dark, honked and gave me a thumbs up as we passed one another on the ramp to I-95. I made it the rest of the way home without incident.

That was a dangerous and frightening passage, but I was so grateful to God for having sent me a tow truck.  I think we often do not realize in life that we are all perpetually positioned to function as both the tow truck and the weary driver on the dark road.

Do you know who is following behind you just trying to stay alive?  Do you look for the 18 wheelers to help get you across a dark passage?  God's plan is that we help one another in these ways.  

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 says,

 9 Two are better than one,
   because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
   one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
   and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
   But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
   two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

With God as the unbreakable third strand, we can tow and be towed and always be guaranteed of making it safely to the next junction. But sometimes we are slow to let ourselves depend upon one another, or to realize how much the person behind us needs help.  Be careful out there. Pay attention on the road.




No comments:

Post a Comment